Cooking Time 20 mins
You can choose a variety of ingredients for your frittata. Include fresh, local veggies like ramps, spring garlic or basil. Sausage or cottage bacon adds a great flavor profile or go meatless with tofu or tofurkey sausage.
• 2 stalks of ramps, diced
• 1 medium bell pepper, diced
• 5 mushrooms, diced or thinly sliced
• sausage or bacon diced (or add leftover meat)
• 1 cup tofu, diced for meatless
• olive oil
• 2 teaspoons spices or herbs, oregano, basil, thyme, smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder (your choice)
• 1 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoons kosher salt
• 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
• 6 to 8 large eggs, enough to cover the ingredients
Use a cast iron or oven-safe nonstick skillet.
• Preheat oven to 400°F.
• If meat is raw, cook that first in a large nonstick frying panthen remove it from the pan to add back in later.
• Cook the vegetables with oil over medium-high heat, until cooked through. Add any meat or tofu and cook just enough to warm through.
• Add whatever seasonings you wish to use along with 1 teaspoon of salt. Cookfor a minute, then give it a taste. Add more if needed.
• Add the cheese: Spread the vegetables into an even layer. Sprinkle the cheese on top and let it just start to melt.
• Add the eggs: Whisk the eggs together and pour them over the vegetables and cheese. Tilt the pan to make sure the eggs settle evenly over all the vegetables.
• Cook for a minute or two until you see the eggs at the edges of the pan beginning to set.
• Bake: Put the pan in the oven and bake until the eggs are set, 8 to 10 minutes. To check, cut a small slit in the center of the frittata. If eggs run, bake for another few minutes.