Italian Soup with Sausage and Tortellini
Prep time 20 minutes | Cooking time 1 hour and 15 minutes
Makes 8 servings
This traditional Italian soup is perfect for a cold winter night and makes for great lunch leftovers. Savory beef broth, italian sausage and cheesy tortellini combine to create a nourishing soup that your whole family will love.
For a gluten free version, skip the tortellini, and sub in a gluten free elbow macaroni.
• 5 cups beef broth
• 1 pound bulk mild italian sausage
• 1 chopped onion
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup red wine
• 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
• 1 cup carrots, diced
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 2 cups chopped kale
• 1/8 cup fresh basil, chopped, tightly packed
• 1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
• 1 package Rising Mood Four Cheese Tortellini (found in frozen aisle)
• Red pepper flakes to taste
• In a 5 quart dutch oven or large stock pot, Add onions and sausage. Saute until sausage is brown.
• Add garlic and saute for 2 more minutes.
• Add beef broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, and oregano to pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
• Skim fat from the soup. Stir in kale and parsley. Simmer covered for 30 minutes. Add tortellini during the last 10 minutes.
• Soup is done when tortellini is fully cooked
• Top with parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes to taste