Sauteed Beet Greens
Cooking Time 20 minutes
Serves 2 to 4
A fresh, flavorful and simple recipe to help you use all parts of your beets! Serve in place of a salad and reep the nutrtional benefits of beta-carotene, vitamin C, iron, and calcium.
This recipe is adapted from The New York Times.
• 1 pound beet greens (2 large or 3 small bunches)Salt
• 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, to taste
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (optional)
Freshly ground pepper
• Lemon juice as desired
• Bring a large pot of water to a boil while you stem the greens and wash the leaves. When the water comes to a boil, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the greens. Blanch for 2 minutes, until tender. Transfer immediately to a bowl of ice water, then drain and squeeze the water out from its leaves. Chop coarsely.
• Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the garlic and hot red pepper flakes (if using) and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant and translucent, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in the greens. Stir for a couple of minutes, until the greens are nicely seasoned with garlic and oil. Season with salt, pepper and lemon juice, remove from the heat, and serve.