Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
Prep time 10 mins | Cooking Time 35 mins
This seasonal recipe is a family favorite and a great substitue for spaghetti. You can of course use any veggies, add zucchini, mushrooms, etc. For a different flavor, add black olive slices, or mix in 1/2 container of feta or ricotta, or top with parmesan.
• 1 spaghetti squash
• 1 lb ground beef, turkey, or veggie burger
• 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed, diced
• 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
• 1⁄2-1 bell pepper, diced
• 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
• salt and pepper
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• Italian seasoning mix (oregano, basil, etc)
• 1 cup mozzarella cheese
• Pierce the squash along one side in a straight line. Don't poke holes all over or it will leak.
• Brush the inner flesh of the spaghetti squash with oil, season with salt and pepper and roast, skin side up, in a preheated 400 degrees oven until tender, about 30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, cook the meat, about 8-10 minutes, crumbling it as you go and set aside.
• Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat, add the onion and cook until tender (about 4 mins), add the peppers and cook until just tender (about 3 mins) , add the garlic and cook until fragrant, (about 1 min.)
• Add the sausage and tomatoes, cook to heat and remove from heat.
• Fluff up some of the inside of each spaghetti squash half, divide the sauce and the cheese between them and broil in the oven until the cheese has melted and turned a light golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.