Creamy Pumpkin Soup
Prep time 12 minutes | Cook time 40 minutes
Squash soups are a fall classic. Not only are they nourishing on a cool fall night, but they are packed with nutrients to keep you healthy as the seasons change.
Add extra vegetables like potatoes and carrots in to this soup for extra nutrients or leave it simple.
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to serve
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 diced garlic cloves
3 cups pumpkin, peeled and cubed
1 leek (white part only), chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon toasted pumpkin seeds
• Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add garlic, vegetables and nutmeg, then toss to coat.
• Add stock and 2 cups of water, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
• In batches, transfer to a blender or use a stick blender to puree soup. Return soup to the saucepan and place over low heat.
• Stir in cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
• Serve in to bowls and top with pumpkin seeds and fresh parsley.