Savory Cheddar and Chive Waffles
Prep time 10 minutes | Cook time 20 minutes
Filled with sharp cheddar cheese, and mild oniony chives, these waffles are loaded with flavor, but are really shine when topped with some crispy bacon and a fried egg.
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 2 cups buttermilk
• 3 eggs
• 4 tbsp butter, melted and cooled slightly
• 3 ounces extra-sharp cheddar, shredded
• 1/3 cup minced fresh chives
• A few grinds black pepper, to taste
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
• In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, beat eggs, and then whisk in buttermilk. Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and fold together.
• Stir in the melted butter, cheddar, chives and black pepper.
• Preheat waffle iron to desired setting. Brush with melted butter, or spray with cooking oil and pour in as much batter as your waffle iron's instructions recommend (usually 1/2 - 3/4 full) and cook until golden brown.
• Remove waffles and serve immediately, with a fried egg, and bacon if desired, or keep waffles warm in a 200°F oven until ready to serve.